Saturday, January 22, 2005

Soul, Jazz, Etc.

Plato's rendition of the soul
I bought a tape at a library booksale of Plato's Republic. I read it once in college just to say that I read it. I first heard bits and pieces of the Myth of the Cave back in high school. Now I listen to that tape in the car blissfully content.
T.K. Seung really brought Plato alive for me in a course on Kant's Moral Philosophy. Seung has a beautiful mind. His insights into western philosophy are riveting. I you have ever been drawn toward philosophy but baffled by the ocean of choices, start with Seung. He is like Virgil, Beatrice, and St. Bernard in one.
Self-evident Transcendent Normative Intuitions form the nexus of the Jazz of life. They are the chords upon which a life of magnanimous humility can be built. This is my song. If I follow the chord progression I can play whatever notes I want, however I want. Life is beautiful.

1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Steve F. said...

"The chords upon which a life of magnanimous humility can be built." That is true poetry, Nikolai.

I hope that Seung gets to read your stuff - if only to know how he has influenced the mind of one good man. My prayer is that someday I might do the same...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home