Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Human Rights and Genocide

Genocide is occuring in the world today and there is not much I can do about it. The only thing I can think of is to look it in the eye and own it. Pretending like it is not happening is worse than acknowledging that it is happening and not being able to do anything about it.
The Secret Genocide Archive from todays NY Times

Samantha Power wrote the book A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide "There's never been a more important time to think about America's role in the world, about U.S. foreign policy, and about responsible citizenship." I browsed through the spring 2005 textbooks at the UNL bookstore and saw Samantha Power's book being used in several political science courses.

I think that educating myself about genocide is the best thing I can do toward being a part of the solution today. I fear doing nothing and taking actions that are seemingly helpful but end up making things worse. I know it does no one any good to try to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders, but you can't ignore festering boils.

1 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Steve F. said...

I just finished reading up on the NY Times article before I checked out your site - and I'm still stunned.

A student at LSTC is from Sudan, and his stories have always been chilling - but it's true that a picture is worth a thousand words.

It's definitely time to start the letter writing campaign - the quote of Paul Simon's words at the end of the article are a worthy reminder.

(Now..what were you doing up at four AM?...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home